Parents and Trailmen,
At our next meeting on November 16, 2015, we have a great opportunity to do something unique. Each year, Samaritan's Purse International Relief helps children around the world experience the joy of Christmas through their program, Operation Christmas Child.
Operation Christmas Child is the world’s largest Christmas outreach of its kind. Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child has delivered gift-filled shoeboxes to over 124 million children affected by war, poverty, natural disasters, and other crises in more than 150 countries and territories. OCC partners with local churches to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with those who receive shoebox gifts and offer a 12-lesson discipleship program, The Greatest Journey, that helps boys and girls learn what it means to follow the Lord and share their faith with others.
Pear Orchard Presbyterian is an area collection site for OCC and has supported this outreach ministry for many years. Nationally, Trail Life USA also supports this ministry, so it is a perfect service and ministry opportunity for our troop!
At Monday's meeting (November 16, 2015) we will be packing boxes to send to children all around the world, with the hope of sharing the love of Jesus with each one. Here is what you need to know:
- Send your Trailmen with gifts to pack a shoebox. You can find information here on what kinds of things to bring.
- OCC seems to always have a shortage of boxes for boys, so plan to bring gifts for boys.
- The cost to send a box to a child is $7, so it is appreciated if you include a check made payable to Samaritan's Purse. If you would like to be able to track your box online and find out where it was delivered, you may click here to donate your $7 online and print a special tracking label. If you do not print a label online, we will have labels to complete at the meeting.
- If your budget doesn't allow for you to fill a box, that's okay! Bring what you can and we will combine items together to make a box for a child. If you can't bring anything at all, that's okay too! We will also be writing cards or letters to include in boxes. There will be something for everyone to do.
- We will have some boxes to put your items in; however, if you have an old shoebox, please bring it along to be sure we have enough boxes.
As we prepare to share the good news of Christ with children around the world, begin praying now for the children who will receive these gifts. Pray that these gifts and the message of Jesus will forever impact their lives.
If you have any questions as you prepare for next Monday's meeting, please email Brad Hatchett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
P.S. If your son is 10 or older and looking for a good service project, the folks who coordinate the collection efforts at POPC could use your help. November 16-23 is National Collection Week, so there will be much to do at the Church this week. If you would like to help out, you may contact Jenny Murphy at email@example.com. Tell her you are a member of the POPC Trail Life Troop and would like to help out.